Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Art of Interaction : Brutal Legend

I haven't updated this thing in a while and  that's breaking my New Years resolution, but I'm hoping to have some more art coming up this next week.  It's just been a bit busy around here lately.

In the few hours I have to play games on the weekends I started to re play Double Fine's Brutal Legend.  I really forgot how great of a game it is. Double Fine has since moved on to smaller downloadable titles, which are great and you should check them out, but their last triple A project is a piece of gold.

One of my favorite features is the weather and sky box visuals, they're really some of the best in the industry.  I had a chance to go to a talk at GDC 2009 or 2010 with the art director, Lee Petty , where he covered some of the techniques and systems they used to create the visuals.  It was on of the best talks I've ever been to.   I was also lucky enough to meet up with Drew Skillman through a co worker of mine and talk with him a bit about the fx used to create these amazing vistas.   One day I'd like to try and tackle something similar in UDK. Dynamic sky boxes have always been something that's fascinated me. Until then I'll just watch these time lapse videos.  I know they're old but they're amazing to watch in action.




Post a Comment