Thursday, February 4, 2010

Starting off the year wrong and fixing it.

My New Years resolutions this year was to become a better environment artist and finish everything I start.  So far I've been doing ok on the second part but I haven't done a whole lot towards the first bit.  I want to rectify that now and hopefully come out the other end with a nice portfolio piece.

Recently finishing Mass Effect 2, seeing Adam's great level art thread on Polycount, and the listening to the Game Mentor Podcast has really inspired me to kick this thing in gear.  My goal is to finish and entire scene from start to finish and use this as a opportunity to learn as many new techniques as possible.  I've gone a head and listed some goals down below.

  • Set up the project as if it were for a production level not a still

  • Focus on the scene and not the indvidual asset

  • Improve my texturing and modeling skills

  • Learn the  UDK pipeline

  • Document the whole process ( new focus of the blog)

  • Successfully create an enviornment that I'm happy with.
Now that I'm thinking about the project, it's time to do some research and planning.  Once I'm done with that I'll also start a thread on Polycount for critiques and comments.  Hopefully this weekend is a productive one.
Post a Comment